Skip to main content

Imprisoned within the invisible cage

I meet all kind of people all the time. Love 'em. They intrigue me. Knowing, observing and analysing them comes to me naturally.
Some open up easily. Some push me away. Some wait and watch and test before giving away in increments.
Sometimes I come across someone that doesn't know the existence of the 'invisible cage'. What is this invisible cage ? We live with it, and operate within the framework it lays for us. Hinduism describes that cage as "AHAM", but you and I know it more as "ego". I think of Ego as a useful engine, but it needs a driver for steering. A powerful engine without an equally powerful driver drives aimlessly , and could even be self-destructive. They miss their goals, repeatedly. According to Hindu Philosophy the Goal of Self Realisation may be achieved by surrendering ego and merging with Self. The road to happiness begins with the giving up of the notion of ego.

Now, the reason I'm writing this is because, from meeting people, I realise what the ancient scripts said, is so true. The most stressed out, unhappy and lonely people are the ones with enormous egos . They block out not only people, but ideas, and experiences. Their path to self realisation is long and whiny. On the other hand ,the ones that drive themselves and not let their egos drive them - keep on achieving what they really what and are happier.

Comments

ego.. so much has been said about it already, but somehow, i like the damn thing. I mean, I can be modest, and I am naturally sweet, neverthless, I would die if I didn't have an ego. I go through life knowing that I am better than lots of people around me..I just know it..sound very arrogant, i know..but thats not intentional. Ofcourse, it isnt right to bring issues of egoism in family or friendship or love,but otherwise I feel ego is an essential object, specially in a country not yours by birth. My feeling of superiority over others, does help me loads... modesty, selflessness, teachings of fourth standard moral science textbooks my friend..welcome to the real world :)


ps - while this above was my personal opinion( and in no way the right one), i think u write on issues i dunno if i will ever write..however i would love to keep reading urs and commenting. ;) great job. keep at it!
lol..just realized how many I's the above post has. Man...I am full of it!!! :D
Geetali Sharma said…
Simple, short, to the point. I like this post 'cause I completely agree.

Popular posts from this blog

Faraway

Like a rose without water I will age deep vermillion and scentless. Your love I will keep like white envelopes from the past unopened under my sandal-scented bed. It is not memories that the mention of your name reminds. But a whole universe that I sometimes see when I sit and watch snow melt outside my window. Two drops of jasmine oil and two words later I remind myself this is only a poem and you distant, like a faraway place I want to visit. And say goodbye once again.

First Love makes you a worse person. (So go look for the second one to fix that!)

It has been twenty years since you left. Twenty years that I have not seen you. Honest to God, I don’t completely remember your face now. Only that smile, those hazel eyes, and your green striped shirt that later, someone stole from your clothesline on a summer afternoon. That summer remember, we stole mangoes from whichever garden we could, and attempted to cook chutney. And the aftermath – burnt coils of the electric heater and a blackened saucepan. I wonder why even after all these years, a gentle sprinkle of your memories, unleashes a strong flow of emotions that occupy those corners of my mind that normally don’t exist in my everyday life. I don’t like it. I don’t like that you come so close to me but only in a dream. I can neither touch you nor make you go away. You tease me like a freshly popped champagne bottle spilling out froth. That froth that burns my fingertips, but never wets them enough. And slowly, precipitates away into nothing. You are not “nothing” in my life. Y

The Compromise (Final Part)

June 21st 2007 5:40pm Savannah, GA Shyla’s little ranch home was tucked away behind the row of weeping willows. More dreary looking houses and an abandoned truck rusting by the street, made the scenery look even sadder. It was hard to imagine that inside one of those old withdrawn houses, a newborn was trying to see the world with twinkle eyes in all amazement. Eric had parked on the street and was now walking towards the little ranch home. He had not noticed the adjoining houses, nor that the driveway ended into a worm-infested narrow mud pathway leading towards the house. He could see nothing, as his insides couldn ’t bear another iota of sensory impulse. Or perhaps, he, standing at this moment, still and alone, on grounds completely alien, was shielded from everything outside of his own chosen senses. He felt strangely calm, as if he had just come walking out alive from the dead. As he stood in front of the large wooden door now, loud heartbeats thumped against his ringing hea