Skip to main content

The Art of Ginger Tea

While still in my teens, I often heard my dad recite his favorite lines from Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina, “Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way”. For years the true meaning behind these lines eluded me, and no matter how deeply I dug into the words, somehow I couldn’t touch what the author really wanted us to understand. My dad, who would always return a mildly challenging smile when asked what those lines meant, would never satisfy our questions fully, but rather leave us in a grumpy, confused, self-defeating state of mind.

And then one day, I finally got it. That occasion was of no particular significance, barring the fact that it had been an extremely tiresome day. I had picked up Sid from his childcare center after my evening MBA classes. It was already ten. Sid, being tenderly fussy on the days he was forced to be away from me till late at night, refused food and went straight to bed. Another night of non-stop studying was about to begin and my mind was already dishing out mini deadlines for the night. Under severe time pressure, I rarely crumble; instead you’d find me pacing back and forth in the kitchen for a few minutes before digging into the assigned tasks with the vengeance of a murdered spirit.

For some reason, that day, while pacing through the kitchen I paused and thought “Why can’t I take a few moments off and make myself some tea! ”. More accurately (since I remember every second of that night), I wanted ginger tea with extra sugar. Now you must be thinking, what’s so incredibly enlightening about making tea that I dedicate this blog post to the occasion. But I assure you this really was a life-altering moment. Ginger tea changed my life forever. Ginger tea made me smell the roses and interpret Tolstoy.
Perhaps it was also the fact that for the first time of my life, I had been on my own with Sid, and despite the never-ending days and very frequent night-outs, life was working. Living was happening! And that was the very essence of my joy. And the aroma of my ginger tea, left no doubt in my mind that yes I had found the key to my happiness and hence the happiness of my family.

****
Nowadays I find myself hear the birds sing more in the mornings, although nothing in my life has changed ( NO, I haven’t rented a new apartment near a bird sanctuary). Everything is the same but nothing's the usual.

Especially the fact that now I’m addicted to ginger tea for life.

Live it !

****

Comments

GS said…
Speechless...
Vivek Sharma said…
That is one of the most famous opening lines in world literature.

I love ginger tea myself. Though I didn't get the connection:P Maybe you need to give me some sweet ginger tea, for me to feel what you felt.

I guess I have a vague idea about it though. Sometimes a simple event, a ginger tea, can act like a switch, lighting up our dark room. It is easy to keep sitting in the dark, and how a simple act of striking the match just makes all the difference:)

Hail Tolstoy!
Proma said…
Vivek : You put it in plain simple words; that is it - striking the match..
Bungz said…
Someone said 'Joy is not in things. It is in us.'
Nicely written. :) So how many ginger tea did you have today?
Anonymous said…
Wonderful story and so well written. I love 'venegance of the murdered spirit' expression. I am trying to prepare for a job intreviews next week - but, as you can see - I prefer reading blogs :). I haven't read yours since BOA story, so I have some catching up to do now.Hugs from Chicago. Marijana
Proma said…
Marijana ! I miss you girl. I was telling Pratibha today that we should go to Chicago together sometime this year.
Anonymous said…
I never took Ginger Tea this seriously... may be I should look deeper. And, of course, if you want to have ginger tea togather, just come on over... you are still a "no show" to our place! -- Khagesh

Popular posts from this blog

Faraway

Like a rose without water I will age deep vermillion and scentless. Your love I will keep like white envelopes from the past unopened under my sandal-scented bed. It is not memories that the mention of your name reminds. But a whole universe that I sometimes see when I sit and watch snow melt outside my window. Two drops of jasmine oil and two words later I remind myself this is only a poem and you distant, like a faraway place I want to visit. And say goodbye once again.

First Love makes you a worse person. (So go look for the second one to fix that!)

It has been twenty years since you left. Twenty years that I have not seen you. Honest to God, I don’t completely remember your face now. Only that smile, those hazel eyes, and your green striped shirt that later, someone stole from your clothesline on a summer afternoon. That summer remember, we stole mangoes from whichever garden we could, and attempted to cook chutney. And the aftermath – burnt coils of the electric heater and a blackened saucepan. I wonder why even after all these years, a gentle sprinkle of your memories, unleashes a strong flow of emotions that occupy those corners of my mind that normally don’t exist in my everyday life. I don’t like it. I don’t like that you come so close to me but only in a dream. I can neither touch you nor make you go away. You tease me like a freshly popped champagne bottle spilling out froth. That froth that burns my fingertips, but never wets them enough. And slowly, precipitates away into nothing. You are not “nothing” in my life. Y

The Compromise (Final Part)

June 21st 2007 5:40pm Savannah, GA Shyla’s little ranch home was tucked away behind the row of weeping willows. More dreary looking houses and an abandoned truck rusting by the street, made the scenery look even sadder. It was hard to imagine that inside one of those old withdrawn houses, a newborn was trying to see the world with twinkle eyes in all amazement. Eric had parked on the street and was now walking towards the little ranch home. He had not noticed the adjoining houses, nor that the driveway ended into a worm-infested narrow mud pathway leading towards the house. He could see nothing, as his insides couldn ’t bear another iota of sensory impulse. Or perhaps, he, standing at this moment, still and alone, on grounds completely alien, was shielded from everything outside of his own chosen senses. He felt strangely calm, as if he had just come walking out alive from the dead. As he stood in front of the large wooden door now, loud heartbeats thumped against his ringing hea