Skip to main content

The Compromise (Final Part)

June 21st 2007
5:40pm
Savannah, GA

Shyla’s little ranch home was tucked away behind the row of weeping willows. More dreary looking houses and an abandoned truck rusting by the street, made the scenery look even sadder. It was hard to imagine that inside one of those old withdrawn houses, a newborn was trying to see the world with twinkle eyes in all amazement.

Eric had parked on the street and was now walking towards the little ranch home. He had not noticed the adjoining houses, nor that the driveway ended into a worm-infested narrow mud pathway leading towards the house. He could see nothing, as his insides couldn ’t bear another iota of sensory impulse. Or perhaps, he, standing at this moment, still and alone, on grounds completely alien, was shielded from everything outside of his own chosen senses. He felt strangely calm, as if he had just come walking out alive from the dead. As he stood in front of the large wooden door now, loud heartbeats thumped against his ringing heart. A touch of air blew a few flecks of hair off his forehead. Eric felt deep suspense all of a sudden. For a second, that made him aware of the unexpected, the unknown, and the inevitable. For a second he felt he was going to meet his mother. Was the notion of reunion with his dead mother a reflection or a reaction to his abandonment of the negative forces in his life? Had he really come full circle? It had taken him this long to open himself up and lay it out for someone, to love. And in return, in the cradle of his freshly open heart, he wished to care for his own child.

The doorbell was unfashionably loud. Inside, someone’s footsteps crept up softly towards Eric’s direction. The door flung open to unveil Shyla ’s beautiful face, softer and paler than he remembered. Her liquid eyes gazed unflinchingly at him. God only knows what all emotions she was going through at this moment. And perhaps from the burden of them all, she hugged Eric and cried as he gently caressed her head. Seconds later Liz came out and hugged him briefly.

They sat around the dining table. Liz went out to the patio to smoke a cigarette. But really, they all knew Liz’s ways of not interfering unnecessarily in her daughter’s affairs. Shyla looked at her mother walk into the garden, and the cigarette burning between her quick nervous fingers. No one spoke anything. Eric was overcome with guilt, looking at Shyla’s tired face and innocent eyes. “She looks so pale” thought he. But as the silence grew, Eric couldn’t restrain his desire for an unbridled reunion with their baby. He looked at Shyla, and was about to open his mouth to ask about the baby, when her eyes, changing their expression into a deep cutting gaze, stopped Eric.

“I’m sorry you’re late Eric”.
Eric couldn’t understand. What was she implying?
“No no no Shyla ! I mean to take care of you forever. I love you both !” he cried.

Shyla buried her face in her hands, sobbing uncontrollably. Eric still didn’t understand. What was happening now was not what his mind had been planning for weeks. All that he wanted was to take them home. That would be all it would take for him to come full circle. For the first time in his life he had been ready for a compromise. A compromise between what he knew he couldn’t get but that made him happy, and what he could get that didn’t make him happy. And now, at this moment of suspended suspense, he felt himself hinged over the outcome of his endeavor, and Shyla’s puzzled words.

Shyla’s face fell. Then sharply she brought it up and looking straight at Eric said, “You never called”.

“I gave him away”.

Eric's face turned white as the words struck him. Shyla turned away from his look, cringing slightly. After a long pause, Eric attempted to get up from his chair, and stumbled somewhat in doing so. Slowly, very slowly, he walked out of the door, towards his car. As the receding evening cast a sweet spell of earthy colors over his anguished face, he walked away...

Comments

Proma said…
GS : ok so now that I have finished my story I wanted to reply to your earlier comment.
The part 2 was intended to be very "as it is" and fancy free. The ending is dramatic and I intended the part preceding that to be clean and short.
Lines like "She tentatively placed her palms on her distended belly where a new life was actively exploring the confines of her womb"
are very fanciful and made-up and in my opinion wouldn't work with the "feel" of the story.
Perhaps I have failed in translating the idea and more importantly the "feel" for the story as it builds up.

The reason for using unnecessary imagery is to build up the scenery leading to the end without getting completely lost in the characters. Eric is somewhat a lost soul, trying to find a balance in life.
I need to keep working on my structure to be able to tell a story as I want to without readers scratching their heads and saying- what was that (chuckle:))
GS said…
I love the last line of Part #3

I'm "feeling" it...Didn't expect that ending...I wasn't even close.

I like it...Part three provided the punch. I'm sure we can always go back and re-work our writings - but I'm the type to just keep writing new stuff...
Vivek Sharma said…
:(
I am utterly confused:(
Please edit the story, and make it cleaner (?)

Wrote u an email with my list of what I didn't get
Proma said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vishwas said…
Nice story Proma, I enjoyed reading. I like how you set the whole thing up. In the beginning the time lag threw me off guard, but then I understand why you did that- that makes it different.
I liked you choice of words, very simple yet complete. I like the use of short sentences, something that I am mow learning to do. My fav para was the one with Eric on the porch- I could totally relate to the depth of his confusions/emotions.
The ending was suiting. You could have very well had a hunky-dory finish with then all being happy but I like the fact that you didn't do that. Maybe Eric deserved a second chance, but how long must shyla wait...it is not fair on her.
I would like to know why he was throwing up in the beginning. Was it because he was nervous or was it because he had intoxicated himself so much so as to make the whole experience an easier one?
Cheers,
V
sam i am said…
hey Proma, that was a great story...im curious tho, i never really know the moment Eric changes his mind...and why does he? maybe i missed that...also, what was the significance of the substances? pot? cigarettes...seem like they form an important part of the atmosphere...but not sure how. Besides that, i liked it a lot...liked the writing overall and the fact that Eric has had a difficult and tying time comes across well. I just wish I knew Shyla better :)
Proma said…
Hi Sam :

Thanks a lot for reading my story.

Actually you are correct in saying that Shyla's character was not developed adequately in the short(slightly longish you would say?) story. That is one of the challenges for a short story writer. I hope to learn a thing or two in that respect :)

As far as Eric's point of enlightenment is concerned, the process happens through the entire 9 months, but the point of culmination between the two phases was right before he begins driving towards Shyla's home. That was when he smokes a couple strong joints to dispel whatever inhibitions remained in his mind, before taking on the next step in life.
Proma said…
Vishwas,

Eric pukes because of both intoxication and nervousness. U know people overdose themselves when they have doubts over the effectiveness of the drug against the severity of their mental challenge !

Thanks for reading :)
Ruksana said…
hey this is good, u shud try make it into a short film, u know, quick takes, few characters, i think it lends itself well for just the thing!
Proma said…
Ruks : Hey thanks for reading. I never knew you blog too :P ---- Yeah, a screenplay sounds interesting.... thats a long way off for now though :) (unless Rafiq asks me to write the screenplay for his next film lol!)

Left few comments on your page too ...

Popular posts from this blog

Faraway

Like a rose without water I will age deep vermillion and scentless. Your love I will keep like white envelopes from the past unopened under my sandal-scented bed. It is not memories that the mention of your name reminds. But a whole universe that I sometimes see when I sit and watch snow melt outside my window. Two drops of jasmine oil and two words later I remind myself this is only a poem and you distant, like a faraway place I want to visit. And say goodbye once again.

First Love makes you a worse person. (So go look for the second one to fix that!)

It has been twenty years since you left. Twenty years that I have not seen you. Honest to God, I don’t completely remember your face now. Only that smile, those hazel eyes, and your green striped shirt that later, someone stole from your clothesline on a summer afternoon. That summer remember, we stole mangoes from whichever garden we could, and attempted to cook chutney. And the aftermath – burnt coils of the electric heater and a blackened saucepan. I wonder why even after all these years, a gentle sprinkle of your memories, unleashes a strong flow of emotions that occupy those corners of my mind that normally don’t exist in my everyday life. I don’t like it. I don’t like that you come so close to me but only in a dream. I can neither touch you nor make you go away. You tease me like a freshly popped champagne bottle spilling out froth. That froth that burns my fingertips, but never wets them enough. And slowly, precipitates away into nothing. You are not “nothing” in my life. Y