Skip to main content

The Silver Bracelet - Part 3

It surprised me to see how quickly Neera adjusted to the village living. Old memories, like old habits, die hard. They reside somewhere within us, forsaken like childhood toys, forgotten like best friends from kindergarten, forbidden like innocent mistakes made during adolescence. In our attempt to evolve living the same life, refreshed several times, we bury the old under the new; yet, scrape the top just a little and they spill out, like fresh blood under a scarcely healed wound.

Today is only the second day of her stay and Neera is already trotting the village path in her Abercrombie attire and Nike shoes. The village school that she remembered from her last visit had transformed completely, from a two-room mud-house into an eight-room brick-and-mortar box-house, complete with real wooden furniture.

Right behind the school there used to be the only grocery store of the village, now replaced by a row of tidy shops, twelve in all. Neera saw one of the shopkeepers holding a cell phone, and wondered how many more villagers owned one. It seemed strange that at a place with no running water and nightly power-cuts, several families owned television sets, around a third households owned motorcycles, and a few it appeared even have cell phones. Neera was impressed. I think she not only was impressed but actually felt proud.

After having taken several dozen pictures with her digital camera, she decided to get back to Lelin dadu’s house to pick up her own cell phone. She wanted to talk to Jeff and tell him about the wonderful time she was spending here.

As she approached the house, she saw Lelin dadu sitting on a huge folding cot outside, in the courtyard, soaking in the winter sun. Now that he had all the time in the world(since he had retired from work), he could afford to re-read the newspaper, chat with the laborers on their way to the paddy fields, and generally think endlessly about anything that he wanted to think about without having to hurry to a conclusion.

Neera caught him gazing blankly at the coconut trees, or was he just looking at the sky? But the next moment, as if he had been waiting for someone to break his monotonic trance, he turned his head to her and called out her name loudly. “Neera ! My child, did you have a nice walk?”

“Yes dadu. I’m having a great time!”

“Ha ha, that’s good. This place has certainly changed a great deal since you were here last time. Listen my dear, do call out to the lady in the kitchen and ask her to send two cups of tea for us. Let’s sit and talk about America now.”

Neera did not feel like chatting right now, but when she looked at his gleaming eyes, shining like lamps atop an old lighthouse, as if pulling up his sagging lower lids from drooping so much, she changed her mind. She called out to the lady in the kitchen and asked for tea.

Lelin dadu began “I have read a lot about the USA. The newspapers these days carry a lot of articles about life in the US. All these kids working in the software industry go and live there and so the media has stories to tell the kids back here. I have nothing against the children going away and settling abroad. It is their free will. Everyone should have the freedom to make choices in his or her life.”

Neera was certainly impressed with the beginning.

Dadu continued, “But I keep wondering how different the life there actually could be? I look at you and can tell that you are a visitor here and not a native. Look at your clothes, so nice, very expensive”.

And just then, dadu squinted. He was looking at Neera’s feet trying to figure out something. Then he spoke looking awfully perplexed, “Why my dear, have you lost one anklet?”

Neera laughed at his surprise. “Oh! This is how we wear it. Just one anklet, its fashion.”

“Oh I see!” he said laughing at his folly. “And what is the material it is made of?”

“Its oxidized metal. You can find this stuff here as well dadu. In kolkata.”

“Oh no no no no”, said dadu in a confident voice. “Your one must be of superior quality. USA is so advanced in everything. Do you have more jewelry that you bought there?”

Neera was feeling extremely uncomfortable by now. It seemed very weird that an old man dadu’s age should be interested in women’s jewelry. She had heard from her father that Lelin dadu was interested in science, politics and social reform. The last thing she expected was his keen interested in anklets and metal jewelry. However, all she could do was to go into her room and bring out her jewelry box. She opened the box to pull out a couple pieces - an oxidized metal bracelet, several plated dangles, huge ceramic pendants, rhodium rings, mixed metal pieces and a beautiful sterling silver bracelet.

Lelin dadu stared admiringly at each piece of jewelry as if they were artwork by renowned artists. He ran his fingers over them. He unfastened and fastened the latches on the chains and bracelets. He asked Neera how each piece was supposed to be worn. To him, these were not just mere jewelry, but pieces of the United States of America that were brought for him to see and feel. Perhaps Neera missed to see the great excitement in dadu’s eyes, smeared with a tinge of jealously and a pinch of resentment, but I am completely convinced, that it was the highlight of the year in Lelin dadu’s life.

The lady from the kitchen brought in two cups of tea.

They drank the tea silently. Neera then took back the jewelry box into her room. She even more wanted to talk to Jeff and tell him how weird Lelin dadu has been.

*****************

To be continued......

Comments

.amanda. said…
I really enjoyed this-- I became completely absorbed in it!! For me, it absolutely reflected the experience of travelling back to my daughters' family's village in Mexico year after year as an American (and for the rest of their family, their reception as Mexicans now living abroad). In many ways, the immigrant's experience is universal.
Proma said…
Amanda ! I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the story. I would love to read about your Mexican experience(s). Especially how they change every year :)
GS said…
Abercrombie + Nike?? :)

You've also put yourself into the story in a couple of places. I personally prefer to avoid references to my own opinions and feelings when I write a story because it makes it less believable.

Example 1: It surprised me to see how quickly Neera adjusted to the village living

Example 2: I think she not only was impressed but actually felt proud

I don't know how many parts you are planning to write but the focus moved away from Lelin for a bit...and now it is back. I like the consistency with earlier parts where I got the impression that Lelin was old and wise...but childish and inquisitive at the same time.

:D
Proma said…
Hey GS ,

This story is semi-autobiographical. Now that I've spilled the beans ------ lets see how I end it lol:)

I'm writing the story as a birthday present for my dad(9th May) and intend to finish it before then...

Proma
considering that the story seems to be in first person, do u make a prominent appearance in d story line? well i guess tht wud b revealing too much for u, right now...though i see that in part 1 of d story u mention how u have been "appointed" to tell dis story.

i do like how d silver bracelet seems to be figuring in d story, with lelin dadus sudden interest in womens jewelry...nice job and continue writing.
Pushpak said…
Hi,

Yes, I am.

How are you?

Popular posts from this blog

Faraway

Like a rose without water I will age deep vermillion and scentless. Your love I will keep like white envelopes from the past unopened under my sandal-scented bed. It is not memories that the mention of your name reminds. But a whole universe that I sometimes see when I sit and watch snow melt outside my window. Two drops of jasmine oil and two words later I remind myself this is only a poem and you distant, like a faraway place I want to visit. And say goodbye once again.

First Love makes you a worse person. (So go look for the second one to fix that!)

It has been twenty years since you left. Twenty years that I have not seen you. Honest to God, I don’t completely remember your face now. Only that smile, those hazel eyes, and your green striped shirt that later, someone stole from your clothesline on a summer afternoon. That summer remember, we stole mangoes from whichever garden we could, and attempted to cook chutney. And the aftermath – burnt coils of the electric heater and a blackened saucepan. I wonder why even after all these years, a gentle sprinkle of your memories, unleashes a strong flow of emotions that occupy those corners of my mind that normally don’t exist in my everyday life. I don’t like it. I don’t like that you come so close to me but only in a dream. I can neither touch you nor make you go away. You tease me like a freshly popped champagne bottle spilling out froth. That froth that burns my fingertips, but never wets them enough. And slowly, precipitates away into nothing. You are not “nothing” in my life. Y

The Compromise (Final Part)

June 21st 2007 5:40pm Savannah, GA Shyla’s little ranch home was tucked away behind the row of weeping willows. More dreary looking houses and an abandoned truck rusting by the street, made the scenery look even sadder. It was hard to imagine that inside one of those old withdrawn houses, a newborn was trying to see the world with twinkle eyes in all amazement. Eric had parked on the street and was now walking towards the little ranch home. He had not noticed the adjoining houses, nor that the driveway ended into a worm-infested narrow mud pathway leading towards the house. He could see nothing, as his insides couldn ’t bear another iota of sensory impulse. Or perhaps, he, standing at this moment, still and alone, on grounds completely alien, was shielded from everything outside of his own chosen senses. He felt strangely calm, as if he had just come walking out alive from the dead. As he stood in front of the large wooden door now, loud heartbeats thumped against his ringing hea